Saturday, March 2, 2013

Rattle Can Primer Wars

Rattle Can Primer Wars. In trying to develop a system for painting Miniature figures and Armor, I've been testing Primers. Now I feel that using a airbrush is a much better tool to apply primer with, however, many times getting something primed quickly is a priority and breaking out the airbrush is a time consuming event (at least for me & my set up). Therefore I have made this review, and some concept here apply to priming with a airbrush.

Product: Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (L) White 180ml  ITEM 87044  $8.49

Pro's: This was the finest primer that I have used. the finish is very fine and the self leveling property of this product is excellent. Details are preserved on model with a this fine primer. This primer almost rivals using a airbrush to apply primer I never had issue with spray sperting and spitting primer. The white under coat makes colors applied ontop of primer extra brilliant

Con's:like most of the spray can primers it is expensive to use compared to non-hobby primers and airbrush. This just might be one of the more expensive I have used.  painting the subject and hiding white in crevuses is difficult and time consuming

Conclusion:I like this primer, other than the price. I have read someplace that coating figure/model with a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Black & thinner works well at helping hiding the white from showing through paint. Would be nice if this came in grey.

Recommendations:  



Product: Vallejo Aerosol Primer Metal-Plastic  Grey  400ml  product 28011  $16.49

Pro's: The grey color really shows inperfection clearly and makes it easy to see inperfections that were missed before priming. Price

Con's:

Conclusion:

Recommendations:

Product: Floquil Base Black Figure-Primer  Black  3oz(88.72ml)  Product RM F3310_0908  $6.99

Pro's:

Con's:

Conclusion:

Recommendations: Rustoleum


Product: 

Pro's:

Con's:

Conclusion:

Recommendations:


Conclusion



No comments:

Post a Comment